Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Trimming a Window

The contractors were busy today hanging doors and trimming windows.  In fact, so much was done that I don't have room in this blog post to cover everything.  I'll fill in the blanks tomorrow.  This afternoon I put on a two-hour clergy leadership transition workshop for Grand Lake Community Chapel, an interdenominational church in Presque Isle.  Then I headed over to the house.  When I arrived, Kyle and Dave were working on the small window in the upstairs guest bedroom.  These photos take you through the process.

Kyle uses the table saw to cut stock for the window
extension jambs...
...and then uses the router to shape each board for a snug fit.
Kyle checks the extension jamb's fit.
The extension jamb sits on top of the rough-lumber jamb,
and creates a box which frames the window.
Kyle and Dave nail the extension jamb together...
...and then, as Kyle pushes it flush with the drywall,
Dave nails the extension jamb into place.
Dave uses the miter saw to cut down a piece of molding...
...and then nails molding to the header jamb.
Here's the finished result.  Note that the molding is a little
larger than the extension jamb, creating a slight reveal
(exposed surface of the wood member behind).
I also noted with satisfaction that the skylight has snow on it, and although the house is nicely heated, there's no sign of snow melting on the roof.  That makes it clear that the house is very well insulated.

A snow-covered skylight.
A snow-covered, but unmelted, roof.
More photos tomorrow of today's work! •••

No comments:

Post a Comment