Thursday, January 20, 2011

More Doors

Kyle and Dave hung more doors yesterday.  These included the doors for the ground floor bedroom and bathroom, and the french door at the entry.  Having doors on these spaces seems to convert them more and more into rooms with purposes.  In this way the house continues to take shape.

Bedroom door, with the bath door beyond.
My one french door is already at work,
helping create an "air lock" at the front entry.
This trim work will continue through the weekend.  Kyle and Dave will return downstate on Monday.  Perhaps, by then, the house will be fully trimmed out.  The next step is installation of cabinetry, followed by flooring.  We learned yesterday that the electrician has put off his visit until Monday.  Today I have to distribute light fixtures to their appropriate rooms, so that the electrician knows what to install where.  Alas, I think I'm one sconce short for the master bedroom.  Perhaps it's in the garage and I have simply overlooked it.

My little Scion has been soldiering loyally through the snow up here, but with difficulty.  Yesterday, before the workshop, and while Dave and Kyle were at lunch, I paid a quick visit to the house.  A delivery truck carrying stock for the extension jambs started backing into the driveway.  To get out of his way, I tried to put my car in front of the panel truck and got stuck.  The snow was only about five inches deep, but my driveway has a significant up-grade here.  The front drive wheels just spun uselessly.   Thankfully, truck driver pushed me out, saying, "Oh, it's just a little car... I can push that!"  Poor Ice Cream Truck — the little engine that couldn't.

I didn't have this trouble in Detroit.  Even though the city doesn't plow side streets, I got around with little difficulty.  The difference between Detroit and Presque Isle, I suspect, is humidity.  Detroit snow is usually damp and slushy, while the snow up here is dry and icy.  I could muddle along in Detroit, but here I seem to just slip and slide and spin.  People have recommended that I acquire a more robust vehicle with 4-wheel drive.  I'm not enthusiastic.  The Scion finally will be paid off next month, and I relish the idea of having no car payments for awhile.  As an alternative, when I get back to Grand Haven next week, I'll see if Alles Tire has better tires for this kind of weather.  That way I could put off a decision until next fall. •••

No comments:

Post a Comment