Saturday, January 29, 2011

Cabinets and Views

As I drove toward Presque Isle this afternoon I called Attila and Sharon to invite them on a tour of the house.  We found some interesting changes!  Kyle and Dave have spent the last couple days installing cabinets in the kitchen, downstairs bath, and laundry.  At present the kitchen cabinets form an "L" on two wall.  Before long an island will make its appearance and square up the design.

That filthy film is finally gone from the windows!  The guys intended to remove it from just a couple windows, but when they saw how dramatic a change it made, they un-filmed almost all the windows.   Now you can see outside — and you can also see how much the outdoors will be part of living in this house.

Attila, Kyle and Dave chat at the stairwell.  Notice how deeply
the winter sun penetrates the building.
With the film off the windows, you can see clearly.  Dave asked
Attila to point out where he and Sharon live on the opposite shore.
Kyle tries to spot Sharon's and Attila's house.  He is leaning
over the base cabinet for the kitchen sink.
The empty space over Kyle's right shoulder is where the
refrigerator will go.
The cabinets in the downstairs bathroom await their countertop.  Speaking of the outdoors being part of the indoors, I suppose I'll have to get some kind of window treatment for that door, or guests may refuse to use the bathroom except in the dark of night!

The sink will be centered in the counter ledge.
The ground floor bedroom has a great lake view — probably the best in the house.  Here and elsewhere I have used wall sconces to avoid overhead lights as much as possible.  Overhead lights remind me of interrogation rooms in bad police dramas.  ("Listen, copper... I've got an airtight alibi!")

Each bedroom has a fan.  Since I don't have air conditioning,
these may be helpful in August.  Attila approves!
Even with the windows unwashed, the views are excellent.  The photos below were taken from the master bedroom.

Looking toward Lake Esau's north shore...
...and to the southwest.
I'll have more photos tomorrow! •••

No comments:

Post a Comment