A few weeks ago Dave brought me a poem entitled, A Worthy House, penned by Nancy Solon, a parishioner and friend at St. John's Episcopal Church in Grand Haven. Nancy told me the muse moved her one day and she wrote this, I believe, at one sitting. I plan to place this in an appropriate corner of the house, probably the entry foyer. As the house moves closer to completion, this seems a good time to share it with you.
A WORTHY HOUSE
A worthy house, my place to abide,
I invite you, friend, to come inside.
Through the windows enjoy God's creation,
Lakes and woods are my inspiration.
I ask you now to take a break,
and rest with me beside the lake.
The beauty of this northern land
designed and built by God's own hand.
I have had a dream for a long, long time...
A house in the woods that is God's and mine.
I ask you now to bide a while,
reveling in the sun's bright smile.
I thank you for each board and nail
That build this structure, too strong to fail.
I thank you for the guiding hands,
That raised this house upon the land.
I ask you now to come and sit with me
And share in God's great majesty.
God has blessed us, one and all
with gifts of beauty, large and small.
Come visit me and experience peace,
Where God's joy and beauty never cease.
I ask you now to come inside,
And see the place where I abide.
October 2010
Nancy Solon
I have found that building a house often seems like trudging through a bog of construction details, cost factors, delays due to supplier schedules or God's whims of weather, and many other irritants. It's helpful, then, to be reminded why I'm doing this! And I am thankful for the "guiding hands" which have helped me translate a vision into concrete, wood, and (this week) drywall. Bless you, Nancy! •••
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What a beautiful sentiment! Very moving!
ReplyDeleteI agree!
ReplyDeleteThat is so thoughtful and what a wonderful welcoming it will be for your visitors. Email coming soon.
ReplyDeleteWhat a nice gift of poetry for John, and the joy and excitement, as well as eventual peace and serenity this new "worthy" house will provide is part of your poem. Terrific!
ReplyDeleteI think it's lovely, and as Mike points out, a wonderful greeting for visitors.
ReplyDelete