Here's some small stuff, recorded primarily to remind me in years to come how many decisions have gone into this construction project. When the time came to choose cabinets, I went with the KraftMaid line. Keith, Rycenga's cabinet czar, suggested a corner cabinet with a lazy susan, as well as base cabinets with pull-out shelves. Having spent years on my knees, prayerfully extracting bowls or small appliances from the depths of my kitchen cabinets, these conveniences made good sense. I also wanted a pantry unit (also with pull-out shelves) in which to store food. That allowed me to do away with upper cabinets next to the kitchen window overlooking the lake. I felt that cabinets crowding the window would distract from the lake view.
 |
| Cabinetry on the west wall, facing the lake. |
 |
| The larder, with its pull-out shelves. |
In the laundry area I wanted some cabinets over the washer and dryer, as well as a counter top on which to fold laundry.
White cabinets will sit over the laundry equipment.
And then there are the light fixtures. I have selected many already, and now find that I have to pick up yet another half-dozen.
 |
A slight nautical accent between the garage doors.
Code requires another light next to the service door. |
 |
I liked this outdoor light, in part because it was fairly inexpensive!
A larger version is at the front door, with smaller ones elsewhere. |
I received a couple house-warming gifts this week. Dave and Cindi have contributed a bird feeder, suet feeder, and supplies for both. A few days ago Dave noticed a woodpecker earning a living by diligently working over the trees next to my house. It will be interesting to see what other feathered creatures live in the area. And as my next door neighbors Floyd and Shari were leaving for home in Toronto — starting a cross-Canada tour of the grandchildren, no doubt — they left me a fire extinguisher. Floyd markets fire protection equipment, so he and Shari had clearly thought of something that had not, as of then, entered my mind!
 |
| Dave and Cindi are giving me a start on bird watching. |
 |
Kyle checks the box for the extinguisher's hanger. Now I have
to decide where to put it — probably the mud room. |
Finally, Dave and Kyle are now living in a cabin at the Fireside Inn. The Inn's owners lived here for years, and raised their six children in this little building. Now they keep this one cabin heated through the winter to store restaurant and cleaning supplies.
 |
| Home sweet home-away-from-home. |
They were happy to rent the rest of the building to Kyle and Dave for the last few weeks of the construction process. It's a bit chilly, but serviceable. Unfortunately the fireplace no longer works. A fireplace would be helpful as we look forward to a nasty snowstorm expected to head our way tomorrow and Wednesday. •••
No comments:
Post a Comment