Monday, June 2, 2014

A Snake in Paradise

This morning I opened the door to my garage and found a snake sitting just inside the threshold.  I almost stepped on it!  Instead I jumped back and marveled at my ability to move quickly when quick is needed!



The snake was equally surprised.  It promptly disappeared under some boxes.  I left the garage access door open so the snake could depart, if it wanted to.  The hunting is probably a lot better outside than inside.

My visitor was tan-colored, with darker markings.  I assume it was a Massasauga Rattler, which is Michigan's only venomous snake.    The Massasauga's territory runs from Ontario to northern Mexico, and includes Michigan.  It lives on rodents, frogs, and small insects, so I'm happy to have the snake around — but outside, not in my garage!  

Two deaths attributed to this pit viper have been reported in Ontario, but seem to have resulted more from inadequate medical care than the snake venom.  Aside from this the Massasauga is interesting, but not very dangerous.

It's always nice to meet the neighbors! ••• 

3 comments:

  1. You can keep your neighbors to yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, I thought I'd bring him down for a visit. The cat would have a playmate. John

    ReplyDelete