Actually, I do have something current to report: the painting crew is hard at work. When I visited about Noon today, three of the painters were staining the first floor bookcases. One painter noted how well the oak-veneered plywood is taking the stain, and predicted that it would look even better when the clear polyurethane sealer is applied. Despite difficult lighting, perhaps you can see below how the "honey oak" stain picks up the grain.
 |
| One of four ground floor bookcases is stained. |
 |
This one will be only partially completed this
week, because trim work must wait for the stairs. |
 |
| The stain we are using highlights the grain. |
The crew has also given most of the ground floor a first coat of wall paint. As you may recall, the first mix didn't work right. This time the color is just about what I wanted — coffee with double cream.
 |
The dining area walls in their final color —
but it's actually more brown than it looks here. |
And finally, Bob, the paint crew's leader, was giving the steel beam a first coat of the dark brown I selected. It looked almost black when I was there, but the color will change somewhat as it dries. And it will get a second coat as well.
 |
The exposed steel beam is a major architectural element for
the house. The rich brown paint will make it "pop." |
Seeing the walls and beam in their final colors also gives me a sense of this house-building project drawing to a close. My brothers are wondering what I'll blog about after I move in. I guess I'll cross that drainage ditch when I come to it. •••
No comments:
Post a Comment