I had hoped to have a few more days in my apartment here in Grand Haven, but yesterday I learned that the complex has already rented this space to another party. Said party wants immediate occupancy! That was an unexpected birthday present! Now I have to "get a move on," specifically on Monday morning. Yesterday I arranged for a U-Haul which I'll pick up on Saturday. Sunday afternoon I'll load up. Monday morning I'll drive north, unload at the house, and then drop the truck in Alpena. My Scion — aka the Popemobile, the Ice Cream Truck — will ride on a trailer behind the truck. I'm assured it will all go well, as long as I don't have to back up!
The apartment is now largely boxed. Just kitchen stuff and a couple closets remain, and that will keep me busy today. I also have to dispose of some furniture. Three years ago St. John's parishioners loaned me several pieces of surplus furniture to outfit the apartment. That saved me having to do a heavy move from Detroit, and was very much appreciated. Most lenders don't want their surplus back. Therefore, on Saturday morning Dave and I will haul the remaining furniture to Love, INC (Love...In the Name of Christ), a Christian social service agency here in the Tri-Cities. Love will recycle these items for the benefit of those in need. After that, there's not much left except to load up mattresses, a couple small bookshelf units, and a bunch of boxes.
This will mark the end of my time in Grand Haven, which has been full of adventure and graced by many wonderful friendships. The people of St. John's Episcopal Church supported my work beyond all expectation, and its wise and compassionate leaders had a good way of keeping my feet on the ground and my head small enough to fit through doorways! They also bore up patiently under my constant chatter about building a retirement home. At the end of our exemplary interim journey, St. John's called Jared to be their settled pastor (in interim ministry jargon). In my opinion, Jared hit the clergy deployment lotto jackpot, and it sounds as if many parishioners feel the same in the opposite direction. From what little I hear through the grapevine, St. John's and its rector are actually having fun! Imagine that — having fun, experiencing joy, in church! But then, our Lord did say something about the fullness of joy.
On Monday I hit the road — specifically, Route 66, as my friend John suggested in a birthday vociferation yesterday. It's time. •••
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment