Monday, March 21, 2011

Countertops

I spent a good part of today at the house.  I've got so many photos that I'll have to divide them into two separate posts.  That's simply because so many things are coming together so quickly.

The main chore this morning and early afternoon was installation of countertops.  By the time I arrived, Kyle and Dave had the island top securely in place.  This gave me the chance to take a serious look at the laminate I selected — a kind of granite-looking pattern.  With light floors and medium-tone cabinets, I thought a dark countertop would look best.  I'm quite pleased with it.

The island now wears its "hat."
The laminate countertop is a granite clone, black predominating.
When I got to the house Kyle had already made good headway on the first floor bathroom.  Once the countertop was securely in place, he installed the upper cabinets.  I thought that this laminate was the same as that in the kitchen, but in fact it's a brown pattern.  I'm especially happy with the way this room is turning out.  Kyle wondered if a guest, seeing the bathroom, would decide to stay on awhile!

Kyle anchors one of the upper cabinets to the countertop.
At last, the bathroom counter is ready for a sink and faucet.
While Kyle worked on the guest bath, Dave was upstairs working on the master bath.  He found that the drawer unit sat so close to the wall that the door trim interfered with the drawer function.  To correct this, Dave added a spacer piece on the right side, and then put the entire sink base back in place.

A spacer pushes the whole cabinet to the left...
...and now the drawers will clear the door trim.
Back downstairs, Kyle brought in the dishwasher from the garage, installed brackets on which the unit will sit inside the cabinet opening, and then rolled the unit into place.  The plumber will have to complete installation.

Kyle screws in support brackets...
...and then slides the dishwasher into place.
The next task was to assemble and install the large countertop for the run of cabinets along the west window.  This came in three pieces which had to be glued and bolted together, and then lifted into place.  Working on carpet pad to protect the wood floor, Kyle applied wood glue to both edges, mated them, and then tightened the three bolts which hold the counter parts together.  With that done, Dave and Kyle carried the countertop to the cabinets and put it in place.  At that point — because no wall is perfectly straight — Kyle carved out a section of drywall into which the back edge of the counter could fit, and then bolted the whole structure to the cabinets.

Kyle butters the counter's edges with wood glue...
...and then bolts the two pieces together.
Dave and Kyle maneuver the countertop to the window...
...and then lift it into place.
Bolted to the cabinets, the countertop awaits
installation of the double sink.
There's still more to report.  I'll do another post, if the cranky server up here will cooperate! •••

No comments:

Post a Comment