Sunday, March 20, 2011

Floors and Countertops

I decided not to go out to the house this afternoon.  Chad and Ben will be finishing up the flooring today so that Kyle, Dave and others can access the house tomorrow.  I thought it best to not be underfoot.

Here's another look at the flooring.  As I mentioned, the color differs according to the light.  The first photo below (traffic corridor near the first floor bedroom) has a red cast, as if this was red oak rather than white oak.  I think that's due to the bulbs in the ceiling can lights, and possibly to the way the camera reads this light.  The second photo was taken on the landing in just daylight.  The wood tone is much more white, and closer to what the eye sees.  Over the years the floors will darken with exposure to light.

The oak flooring in incandescent light...
...and in daylight.
The landings are in white oak, too.
I quizzed Chad and Ben on floor care.  They recommend a dry mop to pick up dirt and sand.  That shouldn't be too difficult — I've done enough church janitor work over the years to feel comfortable running a dry mop!  When I have to wash the floors they recommend vinegar water and a wet mop well rung out.  Seems pretty simple.  They also told me I should put felt pads on all my furniture, especially chair legs, to avoid gouging the floors.  And to move furniture around, I should use the slider pads they sell at Home Depot and other stores.

Dave and Kyle brought the countertops north last week.  Most have been set in place, but are not yet bolted down.  It has been months since I chose the Formica for the kitchen and downstairs bath, so that one came as a surprise.  It's a dark color with contrasting flecks and a honed surface (less glare when the sun hits it).  The countertop for the master bath ("Madras Indian Slate") looks a bit more green than the chip indicated, but that may have been the light.  And the countertop for the office ("Burnished Glaze"), now lying on the floor, is a brown tone with a smooth matte finish.  They will all work, I'm sure.

You can't see much, but the dark kitchen countertops serve to
set off the oak cabinetry.
The countertop for the island leans against
the masonry wall for the moment.
In the master bath, the countertop will soon be bolted down
and fitted out with a sink and faucet.
My office counter is in two pieces, awaiting its supporting
cabinets.  The long piece runs down the wall to the right.
There's going to be a lot happening this week, starting with the plumber tomorrow.  I'll try to get good photos of this "end game" of the construction process. •••

No comments:

Post a Comment