Monday, February 21, 2011

Done and Not Yet

Here are a few photos of things done and yet to be done.  Downstairs, a corner of the basement is taken up with the well's pressure tank, the propane boiler for the hydronic heat, and the domestic hot water tank.  When the heating guy was last there, I asked what I needed to do in order to maintain the system.  He said, "Nothing."  In short, if it stops working, I should call for help.  Otherwise, leave it alone.  Work on the well for the basement's egress window will have to wait for better weather.

Done — the heating system has three zones: (left to right)
basement, second floor, and ground floor.
Done — The plumber has run water lines (the white
plastic tubes) to all the wet places.
Done — Per code, the basement has an egress
window which, at the moment, leads to a rocky slope.
To be Done — An egress window well will be installed in
the spring, after the ground has thawed.
On the first floor I found all the windows fitted out with their permanent hardware — in fact, all windows throughout the building have their cranks.  It's a small thing, but important.  Now we can more easily open a window if Presque Isle experiences a February heat wave.  The electrician will soon return to install more light fixtures, including one Dave picked up today in Grand Haven.

Done — Window hardware has been installed.
To be Done — More light fixtures to be installed.
On the second floor the master bath needs a sink, and the base cabinet is ready for installation.  Counter tops are on order.  However, today I got a call from Randy at Rycenga in Grand Haven telling me that the laminates I'd chosen for the counters in the master bath and office had been discontinued and were no longer available.  That sent me off to Home Depot to look over their (limited) display of Formica patterns.  I found two which will work and relayed that information to Randy.  Now the mills of the gods can begin grinding again.  

To be Done — The base for the master bathroom sink sits in
the master bedroom, waiting to be installed.
Pause — Lake Esau in winter, from the master bedroom.
Outside, I was surprised to find the bird feeder lying on the ground.  At first I suspected that one of the local squirrels had pulled it apart.  Then Sharon and Attila told me about yesterday's wind — brisk in Alpena, but gale-like at Lake Esau.  It was strong enough to play havoc with their wood stove.  Now I think the wind battered the feeder until the base came loose and fell to the ground.

Done In — The bird feeder is on the ground.  Note the woodpecker
at the suet block, and the blue jay at the base of that same tree.
Doing Lunch — This squirrel chased off the birds and then
helped himself to a meal of spilled seed.
Kyle and Dave are returning to Presque Isle tomorrow, stopping in Okemos on their way to pick up my wood burning stove.  The stove will probably be installed Wednesday when the Yogi, the heating sub, returns for his last visit. •••

No comments:

Post a Comment