Saturday, February 26, 2011

Bookcases

It's hard to believe, but we're finally at the point of constructing bookcases!  This morning Kyle put together a mock-up of the unit for the dining area, with the various components stood in place, but not nailed.  Then we discussed how the various elements will fit together.

The mocked-up bookcase in the dining area.
On the ground floor we have four spaces — shallow nooks, if you will — each of which will be faced with oak-veneered plywood.  This will be trimmed at the edges with oak boards.  Since the ceiling on the ground floor is 9-foot, the top of each bookcase will be finished with a box and a piece of crown molding made to match the molding above the kitchen cabinets.  Bookshelves will be supported by the familiar track-and-clip system, but in this case each track will be recessed into a routed groove.  The shelves themselves will be constructed from two oak boards joined using a biscuit jointer (I'll explain this another time).  A stile or trim board nailed to the front of each shelf will give a more finished appearance, and make the shelf resistant to bowing under the weight of books.  There will also be a shallow toe kick at the bottom of each unit.  The bookcases upstairs will be of the same design, but will not be recessed into nooks.  All the units will be finished in the honey oak stain used for the trim.

I confess my excitement level shot up several clicks this morning when I saw the mock-up.  It really gave me a sense of what the finished product will look like, and how much shelving space I'll have to work with.  For years I've made do with bookcases purchased from Walmart or Mejier, all cheaply made (cardboard backs) and mostly with shelves which don't adjust.  That meant I had to organize my books by size, not subject, which made finding a particular book very dfficult.  This will be a real change!

While Kyle was downstairs cutting boards for shelving, Dave was upstairs installing the cabinet for the sink in the master bathroom.  The material and finish here is the same as for the kitchen cabinetry.  I think it looks great!  I can see, too, how the fan-driven heating unit will be concealed behind the toe kick and under the cabinet's shelf.

The sink cabinet and drawer unit are now in place.
When the toe kick is finished in black, the heater vent will be
practically invisible.  A shelf will conceal it on the inside.
In the downstairs bath, Dave's tile is ready for grout.
To illustrate the variations one finds in white oak, Kyle put together four pieces of the tongue-and-groove flooring.  These are from different boards, but all were milled from the same tree.  The blue color on the left shows how the tree responds to metal.  Very likely, many years ago someone pounded a nail into this oak and the tree showed its displeasure by changing color.  Much the same range of variation will be evident in my hardwood floors when they are sanded and finished.

I think the variations in the flooring will be spectacular!
My next assignment is to make a decision re: the white wire shelving to be used in the closets.  I'll go off to Home Depot tomorrow and make more choices. •••

No comments:

Post a Comment