Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Postscript

This is essentially a postscript to yesterday's blog post.  When I have uploaded about seven photos into a post, the software starts getting cranky and photos appear and disappear from the post in edit mode.  As a result I have to limit my selection of images.  Here, then, are a few additional photos from yesterday.

The toilet area in the ground floor bath.
Another view of the ground floor bath.  A light colored grout
will make the tile lines less obvious.
The same tile has been used in the laundry and
half-bath at the opposite end of the house.
By an error in communication, Kyle started putting down a predominantly white tile in the ground floor bathroom, instead of the darker brown tile I had intended.  The white tile was to be used only in the mud room/laundry.  Even I didn't tumble to the mistake until the room was about half-tiled.  That resulted in one of those awkward moments in a construction project when the question is, "Now what?."  In this case, I've decided that it was a fortuitous and beneficial twist of tile work.  The dark tile would have visually shrunk the room, whereas the lighter color makes it look larger.

Unfortunately, we have an abundance of dark tile — which will be used in the entry foyer and for the pad under the wood burning stove — while we've already run through our supply of white tile.  Kyle and Dave will swap tile when they go downstate.  Kyle also pointed out that the light-colored tile is more than $1 per square foot less expensive than the dark, so I'll realize a savings by making this change.

The blue-tinged tile used in the master bath upstairs.
Dave in his pale blue workshop.
The tile above is the one I'm using in the master bathroom upstairs.  If you enlarge the photo, you will see that it incorporates a little blue, which picks up on the wall color.  The wall color can be seen in photos of Kyle and Dave taken yesterday.  It's quite pale, but the intensity changes with the light coming in from outdoors.  Speaking of paint, somehow the color for the ground floor misfired — it's entirely too white.  We will have to work with Sevens Paint in Grand Haven to get the formula right.  How I'll know it's right before the painters return to finish their work is a question I have yet to ask. •••

No comments:

Post a Comment