Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Storm

You can't tell much from this photo, taken out the front door of the Rectory in Alpena at about 8:00 a.m.  However, northeastern Michigan is catching the northern edge of the Great Storm.  It moved in after midnight, and at this point has dropped 2-4 inches of snow, with another 2-6 inches predicted through today.  A stiff wind is blowing.  People are being advised to stay off the roads, so I may not drive out to the house today.  A weather advisory remains in effect until 7:00 p.m.  We'll see what conditions look like this afternoon.  Chicago has received about 17 inches, so I have nothing to complain about.

Thus far, the storm has not even filled in the sidewalk
in front of the Trinity Church Rectory on 1st Avenue, Alpena.
My college chum Jim in California sent along this photo of
the storm as it has moved across the Midwest and into the East.
No wonder we've gotten a lot of snow!
I expect those in Grand Haven and Metro Detroit have had a more difficult time, and folks on the East Coast are dealing with the storm too.   I'd be curious to know what's happening in your area.  If you want to share a storm report, leave a comment.  If you haven't done this before, click on "comment" (below).  When the comment page appears, you can read what others may have said, and leave your own message in the box provided.  Click the button below the box to complete the process.  You're not limited to a single message, so feel free to comment now and then through the day. •••

5 comments:

  1. Early morning (well, everything is relative)report from Bloomfield. The township got out the big guns today - the BIG plough came down the street a while ago and now I have a mountain of snow at the bottom of the drive. I'll be out there soon for a first pass with the snow blower even though it's still snowing lightly. Didn't get as much as originally predicted - but it looks like enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The snow is abating up here. It's hard to say how much accumulation we've had, because the winds were so strong. I'll have to poke around and see what I can find on the Net.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't say I miss it. 40 years on the shores of the Great Lakes was plenty. Especially the several years driving 75 miles south on I-81 each day through the snow belt from Watertown, NY to Syracuse and then the reverse in the evening. 43 now and partly cloudy - headed to 51. Might even get out the motorcycle. Nevertheless we've had a pretty cold and, for us, snowy winter so far - today just isn't our day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Motorcycle weather? I think you're rubbing it in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like we got about 8 inches. Plough's been through again and now the sun is trying to break through. Wind is whipping up a bit now. Didn't know your Bro. is Evel Knievel. Like to see him manoevre a motorcycle around here right now.

    ReplyDelete