Friday, February 11, 2011

80x55

Yesterday I took three boxes of framed pictures over to storage in Ferndale.  These pictures were packed in peanuts to protect them for storage and moving.  The resulting boxes were so large that I was having trouble walking around my apartment.  Better to have them out of harm's way and my way.  Now I'm packing books.  All told I'll be moving about 55 boxes of books.  At roughly 80 pounds per box, that's more than a little north of 4,000 pounds of books.  (Many clergy have terrible book habits — a kind of bibliomania!)  Those eight floor-to-ceiling bookcases in the new house will come in handy!



I've been thinking through my strategy for the move.  The most cost effective plan will be to rent a smaller truck to haul the Grand Haven contents to Ferndale, and then a large truck to haul everything north.  In both cases I would tow my little Scion along behind the truck.  Doing this in winter, possibly in bad weather, is not an attractive prospect.  But I don't suppose there's any suitable alternative.  Once I can move into the new house, I must move.  Having, and paying for, three homes (Grand Haven, Alpena, and Presque Isle) is a bit much. •••

No comments:

Post a Comment