Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Paint and Flooring

Yesterday I took the ground floor paint back to Sevens and discussed the color problem with their staff.  My goal was a light brown, something like coffee with double cream.  When Sevens mixed a quart of paint for me to test, the results were great.  However, when they remixed it for the painters, something was lost in the "scaling up."  The cream was there, but the coffee wasn't!  I selected a stock color which I think will work, and I assume that their formula will produce reliable results.  I also chose a dark brown for the steel beam.

After that I dropped by The Lighting Corner to check on my light fixture order.  They think the new lights ought to be in shortly, perhaps before I head north again.  If so, I'll haul them along.


Meanwhile, Kyle and Dave have returned to Presque Isle and plan to start the tongue and groove flooring today.  I originally intended to use bamboo flooring.  Bamboo is considered a "green" product because it's really a grass, the supply is abundant, and bamboo quickly regrows after harvesting.  However, since bamboo is manufactured in Asia, it must first be imported into the U.S. and then shipped to the construction site.  That means it carries a substantial but hidden carbon-based component.

Early in the construction process we talked about using Michigan-grown oak for the floor.  Kyle found that R.J., our excavator, had a pile of white oak in his barn which was suitable for flooring.  So we switched from bamboo to oak and the guys took R.J.'s wood off to the mill.  When the amount of usable wood proved too small for the project, Kyle cut some white oak on property he owns near Grand Haven and hauled the logs north to the mill.  All that wood, dried and milled into tongue and groove, is now sitting in the living room.

Will there be enough wood to cover the living room, dining area, kitchen, traffic corridor, ground floor bedroom, and the landing between the ground and second floors?  That's the mystery!  Not all of the wood we have is suitable for flooring.  For example, sections with knots or other defects must be cut out.  We should know in a couple days how far our supply of oak will stretch.

Note the knot near Dave's right hand.  This section will be
cut out, and that reduces the amount of usable wood. 
I wish I could be there to see and photograph the process.  However, my task this week is to make some solid headway on packing up the Grand Haven apartment in preparation for moving north a few weeks hence.  I really detest moving.  God willing, this will be the last time I ever have to do this! •••

No comments:

Post a Comment