Dave left around Noon, so the house is very quiet now. He has the place cleaned up and ready for the wood flooring next week. There is a substantial pile of white oak in the living room, but it's impossible to say at this stage if that pile will yield enough usable tongue-and-groove to cover the entire ground floor and stairwell landing. If not, we have carpeting as "Plan B" for the downstairs bedroom.
 |
| The pile of white oak, newly arrived on Jan. 22nd. |
I went out this afternoon to check the temperatures. When I took a good look at the photo I included in yesterday's post, I realized that the thermostat was upside down. "59 degrees" on the electronic display was really 65! I've removed the offending photo, although it's probably the offending photographer who should be dealt with! Nevertheless, the house is holding its temperature beautifully. When the wood stove is up and running, my propane use should be modest — mostly in the wee hours of the morning.
Here are a few more entries in my eclectic collection of light fixtures. The sinuous mini-track light will wash the west wall in the living room. The store in Petoskey had already reduced it, and I got it half-off the sale price. The sconces in the ground floor guest bedroom were close-outs at the lighting store in Alpena — a little industrial touch. The white cage light goes in the stairwell to the basement. It's actually an outdoor fixture, but who cares?
 |
| For the living room. It takes halogen bulbs, but allows a dimmer. |
 |
| This looks like something you'd find in a mall. |
 |
Some folks use outdoor fixtures throughout their homes, so my
choice isn't strange. Another cage light goes in the walk-in closet. |
In short, it pays to shop sales. Right now, for example, I should be purchasing a snow blower. Sears in Alpena is closing out their supply. No more will be available; Sears shipped everything they had to the East Coast states during their series of snow storms. But even on sale, a snow blower is a big investment. I may put this purchase off a year or two and use the money for other things. Like a bed.
 |
No trade at the Deli. This photo is taken from the
ground floor guest bedroom, a great perch for birders. |
I watched the Deli for awhile, but observed no customers. I think all the birds are over at the Atlanta landfill. They don't know what they're missing!
On Monday I'll head downstate again, so I'm not sure what I'll write about for the next few days. Perhaps I can talk Kyle or Dave into shooting some photos with their cell phones. •••
No comments:
Post a Comment