Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Weekend and Rocks

This past weekend I hosted four friends from Ann Arbor and Detroit for a visit to the North Country.  These are the same men who visited in February.  As usual we feasted almost, but not quite, to excess.  For Friday I made vichyssoise and marinated grilled chicken, and dinner on Saturday included both whitefish and steak.  On Sunday evening we drove over to North Bay at the New Lighthouse and watched the sunset.

Breakfast on Saturday was filling but healthy.
Three of the men watch and photograph the sunset.
Sunset at North Bay on Lake Huron.
John, one of my visitors, showed strong interest in the area, so I took him on a tour of the Presque Isle Harbor Association facilities.  A large number of lots have gone back for taxes and will be auctioned by the county later this month.  That's an inexpensive way to pick up a building lot.  He may go to the auction.

Yesterday I busied myself in the garden preparing a stretch of bed for new daylilies.  Solaris Farms said they will ship six new plants this week or next, depending on work flow and field conditions in Wisconsin.  At my house, turning over the soil means digging up rocks!  As the photo below will show, I dug up quite a few yesterday, but only a couple large ones.  My luck may change when I resume digging today.

The dark (with dirt) rocks in the foreground
came out of the 4'x5' dark patch behind.
My daylilies are at their peak this week.  Next year they
will look much larger and produce more blossoms.
My daylily patch looks a bit thin at the moment, with rather scrawny plants.  But this is only the first season after planting.  By summer 2015 — their third season — the plants should be looking very handsome! •••

No comments:

Post a Comment