Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Arts and Crafts

This past Saturday we had the annual Arts and Crafts Show on the Green.  The Green belongs to Presque Isle Community Chapel, the interdenominational church on Grand Lake Road near the Post Office and Library.  This event attracted about 30 exhibitors on a cool but sunny day (last year's show was afflicted by rain and wind).  One of the exhibitors was the Presque Isle Township Museum Society which offered $1 off the usual price for climbing our two lighthouse towers.

Exhibitors lined the Green at the Chapel on Saturday.
The Museum Society's booth offered lighthouse shirts,
discounted tower climbs, and, for the thirsty,
Alpena's own Shipwreck Soda.
The exhibitor I found most interesting was a man who turns out handmade wooden kitchen utensils.  The cherry and ash implements are both stylish and functional.  I spent a small fortune!

My outside work continues.  The perennial garden, a victim of all my travel earlier in the summer, is now in pretty good shape, and I've added some plants to the flower bed by the front door.  Yesterday I re-stacked the firewood left over from last year so that my oldest wood will be burned first this year.  (Why that's important is not clear... but it is!)  After three hours of stooping, lugging, and stacking I was much wearied and sore of back.  Given our cold temperatures this week, cleaning up in the lake felt like punishment for all my good deeds.

Meanwhile, another lovely daylily has put in its appearance.

H. Gentle Rose
Seasonal weather is expected to move into the area over the next few days.  It's long overdue!  These past few days have felt like October! •••

No comments:

Post a Comment