It's a handsome skunk. Instead of a white stripe, the entire back is snow white. Very striking. But also very odoriferous when not amused.
![]() |
| The skunk disappeared between the front wood crib and the back row of firewood stacked between the trees. |
If I find a nest, what next? I could call a critter removal firm — but local residents have had mixed results from these businesses. Checking online, I found this suggestion which sounds like it might work:
Soak rags, old socks, etc. in ammonia and scatter these around where the skunks are nesting. The closer you can get them to the nest, the better. Skunks, opossums, and raccoons can't stand the smell. I know. Ironic. Still, if it works, it works. You'll need to resoak... a couple of times a day. It usually only takes about 2 days for them to pack up and skedaddle. (Askville by Amazon)
If I have a nest and ammonia doesn't work, I'll have to try something else. •••

Just a pair of my sweaty old socks should take care of the problem.
ReplyDeleteMike: I think something even more potent would be needed.
ReplyDelete