As I've been splitting firewood, I've mulled over where to go on my proposed mini-vacation in the U.P. In years past I tent camped north of the Bridge, but that was quite awhile ago. And for some reason I never drove far enough west to see the Porkies — Michigan's Porcupine Mountains. I think it's about time!
Speaking of driving around the U.P., most folks don't realize how large Michigan is. The Porkies are seven hours from Presque Isle... and I'm just an hour and a quarter south of the Mackinac Bridge! To get an idea of Michigan's size, it takes exactly as long to drive from Detroit to Lake of the Clouds in the western U.P. and it does to drive from Detroit to New York City — 9.5 hours without stops!
 |
| Lake of the Clouds, crown jewel of the Porcupine Mts. |
The Porkies hardly qualify as "mountains" to those who live in the western U.S. But that's simply because these mountains are so worn down by wind and water and time. This is what the Rockies will look like in a few million years!
By the way, for more photos of Michigan, click
here. •••
No comments:
Post a Comment