Thursday, August 15, 2013

More Aches and Pains

The daylily season is quickly drawing to a close.  Fallen Leaves, a late bloomer, made its appearance a couple days ago.  The red-orange color does remind me of leaves in autumn.

H. Fallen Leaves
When the plants have finished blooming, I will transplant three to the new section of the garden — for their own protection.  The young man who cleaned my second floor windows a few weeks ago had to set up his ladder among the daylilies.  He could not avoid stepping on a couple of them.  Since window-cleaning is an annual chore, I'll replace the plants with some pavers to create a solid footing for a ladder.

Yesterday I moved all the smaller stones, and several larger rocks, that I've recently dug out of the garden.  The stones went to the firewood area to build up a platform for stacked wood, while the larger rocks went to the big stone pile.  Moving all this rock is really hard on the back!  But the results are pleasing, and I'm gradually reducing opportunities for a turned ankle.

Wood stacked between the trees tended to fall over.
If stacked too high, the wind tends to push it over.
This year I'll keep the stacks to a height of about 3 feet.
This stone base keeps the split wood out of the dirt.
It's mid-August already, time for me to get busy
splitting wood for the coming winter.
Sunset over Lake Esau last night.
Friends from Detroit are staying with me Saturday night.  They hope to buy one or more lots in the Presque Isle Harbor Association and plan to attend the county auction at Indian River.  These lots did not sell in last year's sale, and bidding is expected to start around $10.  That's a good price for a building lot! •••

No comments:

Post a Comment