Thursday, December 2, 2010

Well Done

The well drillers were leaving my property as I arrived this morning.  I take it the well is finished and ready for whatever comes next.  It doesn't look like much — just a white pipe sticking out of the ground — but it's one of those essentials.

The well is in and capped.  It looks a bit of a mess,
but that will wash away in time.
Now that the well is in, Gaylord Gas can return and permanently place the propane tank, which locals call the "pig."  When that is done, the heating guy can hook up the boiler which, of course, needs both water and fuel.

The "pig" awaits being moved to its permanent home.
Hap and Doug were working on the west side of the house this morning, and making good progress.  The porch area is finished, and there was not a lot left to do on the west side.  The south gable remains to be sided, along with a bit of the east (front) side of the house.  Alas, Dave told me tonight that we've run out of siding material!  Another box of siding and another box of fascia will have to be shipped up from Grand Haven.

Doug nails in a piece of fascia above the bathroom window.
The screened-porch-to-be has now been sided.
The weather report for tonight is grim.  A lake-effect snow event is reportedly moving east across northern Michigan, and considerable snow is forecast for the M-32 corridor west of Gaylord.  The M-32 corridor runs through Gaylord and on to Alpena, although Alpena doesn't seem to figure in the disaster chatter.  In any case, I've contacted a man who does snowplowing.  I'll meet him tomorrow morning to see what his charge will be.

A little more siding is needed for the front of the house.
For variety, the area at the front door will be sided in shakes.
I have a lot of driveway, plus a back-up area.  But I also have the power line right-of-way near the road where the snow can be pushed.  Hopefully, he'll decide my house is a piece of cake. •••

No comments:

Post a Comment