Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Meanwhile...

I understand that the insulation crew started their work yesterday.  They called Dave to ask if someone would be plowing out the driveway, since Presque Isle picked up about five inches of snow over the weekend.  I helped Dave contact Mike, the plow person, and assume that Mike got the snow squared away sometime during the day.

Meanwhile, I drove yesterday from Grand Haven to Petoskey and back for a visit with my dermatologist.  It was an adventure.  Crosswinds were stiff on the northern leg, and my boxy little Scion is not the most aerodynamic of vehicles.  Between Big Rapids and Cadillac, US-131 developed icy patches, and then it deteriorated into hard-packed icy snow with ruts and holes and little indication of where the lanes were.  Sensible drivers cut their speed to 40-45 mph, but the SUV cowboys and -girls, along with some semi drivers, insisted on barreling along at 70.  There were many moments when I thought the car was going to spin out.  But I persisted, saw the doc, and then drove home.



Speaking of persistence, you've probably seen those motivational posters with which some companies plaster their office walls.  A large, full-color photo of a soaring eagle, a climber atop a snow-covered peak, or the sun rising on a beautiful beach is used to illustrate a motivational message about dreams, teamwork, excellence, or persistence.  Do these $200+ posters really motivate workers to be more productive?  Or do they simply gratify the boss?

If you've found these efforts at motivation a bit crass, then consider this delightful alternative: the de-motivational material offered by Despair, Inc.  As their home page states, "...we believe motivational products create unrealistic expectations, raising hopes only to dash them.  That's why we created our soul-crushingly depressing Demotivators® designs, so you can skip the delusions that motivational products induce and head straight for the disappointments that follow!"

Among their more noteworthy offerings are:

Retirement
Because you've given so much of yourself to the company
that you don't have anything left we can use.

Mistakes
It could be that the purpose of your life
is only to serve as a warning to others.

Bailouts
From each according to his ability —
To each according to his lack thereof.

And of special note for this audience:

Blogging
Never before have so many people with so little to say
said so much to so few.

If you want to see more, go to: http://www.despair.com/viewall.html  •••

2 comments:

  1. Based on that last comment I now know why I don't blog. You, on the other hand, create an almost daily "SOAP' that is addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't thought of the blog as a soap opera! But I guess it does have some of that complexity, with multiple sub-plots. We haven't had a case of amnesia yet, but I'm working on that.

    ReplyDelete