Today was the first day of the Olde Fashioned Christmas event at Presque Isle. Per instructions, I reported for duty at the New Lighthouse a little after 10:00, ready to assist with the horse drawn carriage rides. However, we soon discovered that no one had showed up to serve as docent at the 1905 House. From 1905-54 this was the Light Keeper's Home, and it is now operated as a museum. One visitor appeared precisely at 10:00 to tour the house and get ideas for her Christmas tree at home. She was exceedingly miffed that the house was still locked and left in a huff. I then volunteered to be Docent-in-Training. Thus I missed my chance to work outside in the cold, wind, and occasional sleet, and instead had to stand around greeting people in a toasty warm Victorian house decked out in its Yuletide finery!
 |
| Sweatshirts and Hoodies are the hot sale items this year. |
 |
The 1905 House looks out on Lake Huron, seen here
through the front door. |
Judi, a member of the Museum Society, worked most of this past week decorating the 1905 House, and her creativity is evident in every corner of the Keeper's Home. The dining table is set for Christmas dinner, the mantles are decked with greenery and origami doves, and two Christmas trees are festooned with all kinds of homemade decorations, such as gingerbread men, dried orange slices, gum drops stuck on branches, and garlands of cranberries, cinnamon sticks, and popcorn.
 |
| Starfish decorate the Yuletide table in the Dining Room. |
 |
| The Parlor's mantle is aflight with doves... |
 |
| ...origami doves made by the Women's Club. |
 |
| The entrance hall has yet another Christmas tree. |
 |
| Orange and ginger scent the air. |
I confess I'm not into decorating extensively for Christmas. I enjoy a nicely adorned tree, but I don't have the patience needed to fill every nook and cranny with holiday cheer. However, my special favorite at the 1905 House is the Sail Boat Wreath. Judi's deft hand is very evident here. I might give something like this a try.
 |
| I've never seen a wreath quite like this! Very handsome! |
Another volunteer relieved me in time for the Soup-and-Salad lunch at Grand Lake Chapel. Much of the crowd had moved on by the time I got there, but the soup was excellent and the fellowship was warm.
 |
| Visitors wait for the post-meal singing group to perform... |
 |
| ...while the Chapel's sweatshirt-and-candy sales team celebrates. |
At 3:45 I was relieved of duty for the day. Over 150 people came through the 1905 House today. I drove to the Presque Isle Harbor Association Club House where Santa had arrived a half-hour earlier on a fire truck. Pat, the township Supervisor and a volunteer firefighter, drove the truck. Later he said Santa had insisted that he arrive seated atop the engine's water gun. With some misgivings — it wouldn't do to have Santa fall off the truck — Pat got him in position just before they arrived at the Club House. It was a bit of a madhouse, with a long line of children waiting to be photographed with Santa-Safely-Delivered. Meanwhile, down the hall, the room-sized Candy Land game was in full swing. The women have been working on this project for weeks.
 |
"Two Blue"... and a young player advances past a huge
gingerbread house. |
 |
Adults sometimes helped players move along the
Candy Land pathway. |
 |
| And to the winners go the spoils! Well, the candy. |
I will return to Olde Fashioned Christmas duty tomorrow after church. •••
Methinks you are a crafty old fox charming your way into the warmth of the house. And, I suppose you will have been told that you did such a good job that you can relish in the comfort tomorrow!!!! Looks like everyone had a good time.
ReplyDeleteI saved the Museum Society's bacon, and got a hard nudge to join the group ASAP. From the sound of things, they spend a lot of time drinking coffee in the 1905 House's kitchen.
ReplyDelete