Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Rooms Take Shape

This afternoon the insulation crew was busy pumping dry cellulose into the attics.  I could feel the difference as I walked into the house about 2:00 — it was really quite warm, and no breezes!  The attics should have an R value of about 50, which means far less heat will be lost through the roof than in a normal house.

The driveway was crowded again today.
Dry cellulose insulation is pumped by hose from the truck,
through an upstairs window, and into the attic. 
To facilitate insulation of the one-story sections, the drywall crew did the ceilings in the ground floor bath, bedroom, and mud room first thing this morning.  By the time I arrived they were hard at work on the living room and kitchen area.  I've never watched professionals hang drywall.  There's a real rhythm to the work, and it's extremely physical.

The guest bedroom finally has its ceiling.
Jamie, on stilts, runs beads of construction adhesive
down the studs to help hold the drywall.
Jamie's team puts a section of drywall in place... Jamie
screws it down... and my kitchen gains part of its wall!
The house is losing its see-through quality.  Rooms are starting to take shape.  The transformation is really quite interesting.

The office takes shape...
...as does the stairwell and upstairs hall.
We may have heat now, but we don't yet have plumbing.  The Room of Requirement (Harry Potter fans take note) is down the lane (driveway) and crisply air conditioned.

The Ice Castle.
My connection to the Internet at the rectory is very frustrating.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and if it does work it's very slow.  But I guess borrowers can't complain.  I think I'm picking up Trinity's wifi signal from across the parking lot.  This means I don't have to go to the local coffee shop and buy their coffee in order to get online. •••

2 comments:

  1. Interesting! I always thought drywall was hung vertically. I see here that it is hung horizontally. Now you are getting walls you can maybe start visualizing furniture placement :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first task, however, is choosing paint. That will be the next step, once the walls have been mudded and sanded.

    ReplyDelete