Friday, December 24, 2010

A Christmas Tour

I'm not sure these photos are much better than yesterday's.  I was on-site earlier in the day, but the cloud cover was pretty thick.  In any case, I have some photographic evidence that the walls have been well and properly insulated.  I also got to show off the house to Attila's and Sharon's family.

The "front" elevation (toward the road) has an unusual look, I think.  The section of roof covering the entrance and stairwell adds this touch.  Most house in this area seem to go for a "long and low" look, but this house goes up.  That's intentional, since it's usually less expensive to build up rather than out.

The "front" is largely finished, except for the protective
covering for the basement's insulation (blue color).
Shakes at the front door help identify this as the
main entrance by a change in texture, but not color.
I'm no expert, but the insulators seem to have done a good job.  The depth of insulation varies a bit from place to place, but in general I seem to have 5-6 inches between me and the great (and chilly) outdoors.

After the insulation was trimmed, the living room and
other rooms were loaded with drywall for use next week.
Pink batts have been used for sound insulation between
the half-bath and dining area.
Looking from the bathroom into the first floor bedroom.
The insulators took care to foam behind the tub and showers.  I guess these are areas which might be missed by less attentive contractors.
Foam behind the tub ensures a warm soak!
Yesterday I also took Sharon and Attila, with their children, partners and grandchildren, on a tour of the house.  The next time Amy, Sean, Alyson, Brett and the children see the place — probably next summer — it should look at least semi-settled-into.

Part of the group arrived by car.  The rest walked around
the shore of frozen Lake Esau.
Brett and Alyson are home from Boston.
Sean gives his daughter a ride — certainly a lot more fun
for a child than touring some cold, half-built house!
I'll be busy tonight doing Christmas Eve services at Grace, Long Rapids, and Calvary, Hillman, two small churches west of Alpena.  Next Monday the drywall starts going up!

I wish all of you a very blessed and happy Christmas, and good health and great adventures in the New Year! •••

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Mike! Have a wonderful Christmas at your end of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John! It was so great to see you this season! I love your vision and committment to making your home green... keep up the great work and I look forward to moving rocks for you this summer... Happy New Year! Love, Chauncey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Alyson! I enjoyed giving you and Brett and the crew a tour. Lots has happened even in the past couple days. I hope you and B. have a wonderful Eve and a safe, healthy and happy 2011!!!

    ReplyDelete