Monday, October 15, 2012

In the Thumb

This weekend I participated in a retreat near Port Sanilac, in Michigan's Thumb.  This was an event for men, dealing with men's issues, and facilitated by a quadumvirate of guys who have been leading this or other men's events for many years.  It was definitely time well spent.

On Friday afternoon three of us wandered
across this handsome foot bridge over a ravine.
One glorious tree stood as a sentinel on the lakeshore.
Alas, it was much too chilly to swim in Lake Huron this year. 
The venue was Camp Ozenam, a Catholic camp and conference facility on the shore of Lake Huron.  With the trees in this area moving toward peak color, it was a lovely, restful setting.  Friday and Saturday morning were very pleasant, if nippy.  Then the rain moved in and fell almost nonstop through Saturday.  Sunday was warmer, but still wet.  No complaints from me, however; we were kept busy almost non-stop from dinner on Friday until lunch on Sunday.

It has been several years since I did one of these retreats, and I was happy to reconnect with some guys I've known since the 1990s, but haven't seen in recent years.  And I was happy to spend a little time with my friend John, who was one of the facilitators and convinced me to take the time to attend.

Terry and John, co-facilitators for the retreat,
found time to relax during a break.
John fixed Swiss chard sauteed with garlic for our
final meal of the weekend.  Yumm!
Perhaps the most interesting module was a frank and detailed presentation on prostate cancer, facilitated by a man who was diagnosed in his early 40s.  His description of treatment and post-op renovation was unnerving, but his attitude is, "I'm alive, I'm doing fine, and I'm going to make the most of my life."  That's what he tells other men who find themselves in a similar position. •••

No comments:

Post a Comment