Fall color peaked here about the middle of last week. I should have been out color-touring, but much of last week was spent at this computer, writing copy for the township newsletter. My publication deadline for this second edition is October 15 or thereabouts. I have filled the six pages and now need only the supervisor's sign-off to start production and mailing. That will take nearly three full days.
Friday and Saturday brought rain and wind gusting hard enough to whip up whitecaps on Lake Huron. That pushed our fall color over the edge. Hues are looking muddy here at Presque Isle, but they were still worth trying to capture in photos yesterday afternoon. Inland from the big lake, as on M-65 as I drove to Grace Church-Long Rapids this morning, the colors are still vivid, and hardwoods are more plentiful than here along the shore.
 |
| Trees on E. Grand Lake Rd., near the Township Hall. |
 |
| A close-up, also on E. Grand Lake Rd. |
 |
| Another views of Grand Lake Rd. |
Yesterday afternoon I also took a docent shift at the 1905 Keeper's House Museum at the New Lighthouse Park. After 107 years the front porch had developed serious problems. A couple weeks ago the Township, with financial support from the Museum Society, started rebuilding the structure. For now visitors must enter through the back door. Even with construction, the place was hopping! During my three-hour shift I had about 25 people come through, almost all of them first-time visitors and several doing fall color-and-lighthouse tours. Lighthouses in Michigan are definitely a big tourist draw.
 |
| The 1905 House with its front porch under construction. |
A couple weeks ago I decorated my property with an Obama-Biden yard sign, along with signs for various Democratic candidates. Last week, under cover of darkness, someone put up a set of Republican signs on the opposite side of Kauffman. I say "under cover of darkness" because the signs were not there when I drove home at 9:00 p.m. on Tuesday, and they were in place when I left for Alpena at 7:30 a.m. Wednesday. The property across the road is vacant land. I assume someone is making a statement not just about candidates, but also about my expression of opinion. I think the whole thing is quite humorous... and nicely colorful.
 |
| My signs bracket my driveway entrance... |
 |
| ...while across the street, competitive signs appeared overnight. |
Increased patrols by the Sheriff's Department and Michigan State Police seem to have taken some of the fun out of the stealing-yard-signs game. I don't think that Patrick has lost any signs for the past few days. But the game has been costly for Patrick. I believe that the small banner shown below costs him over $50 a pop. He has lost several, some stolen outright, others slashed into pieces.
 |
| One of Patrick's expensive-to-replace banners. |
It's a spectacular day here in God's Country. Sometime early this week I will make my annual trip to Knabbe's Apple Farm west of Rogers City for some good fall eats! •••
No comments:
Post a Comment