Friday, October 26, 2012

Big Sandy

I've been thinking of getting away for a couple days, possibly to visit my brother and his wife in Virginia.  However, there's a little problem...

(NOAA Image)
Hurricane Sandy, re-christened "Frankenstorm" in honor of Halloween, is making its way up the Eastern Seaboard for possible landfall in New Jersey next Tuesday.  My old stomping ground in Cocoa/Merritt Island/Cocoa Beach, FL, is already feeling the effects.  It's likely that by early next week southern Virginia, where Brad and Tish live, will catch the western edge of this storm.  NOAA says Sandy will combine with two weather systems now moving east and south over the northern U.S., making Sandy a hybrid monster.  If so, it could come ashore and then just sit there for 2-3 days.  That's not a happy prospect.

What to do?!  Perhaps I'll attempt the trip, but stay well west of the danger zone until the situation clarifies.

By the way, the term Eastern Seaboard is very common, but I don't think I've ever heard people talk about the Western Seaboard.  Do Californians use such a term of reference?  Inquiring minds want to know! •••

No comments:

Post a Comment