Saturday, October 16, 2010

We're Roofed!

As I left for downstate yesterday morning the roofers were finishing up the front (street) side of the house.  The guy dealing with the lower portion was working around the opening for the skylight.  Because this window has not yet been installed, he said he would do as much as he could, and then try to seal the opening against water.  Kyle and Dave will have to complete roofing this section after the skylight has been delivered.

The roofers at work on a crisp October morning.
Nailing down shingles on the roof's lower portion.
The roofer snaps a chalk line as he deals with the
opening for the skylight.
I hadn't thought of this before, but in event of fire, the one-story roof sections could provide a ready route of escape from both upstairs bedrooms.  I certainly hope I never have to deal with a house fire!  Floyd, who lives just south of my property, sells fire suppression systems.  However, I'm inclined to hope that should a fire occur, the fire department's ready access to water — the lake! — will be sufficient.

The lower roofs are a fire escape.
It's important to get the house enclosed as soon as possible.  Snow was forecast for parts of northern New England this weekend, so winter is creeping down on us.  Getting the roof shingled was the first step.  Next come doors and windows.  Once the building can be sealed, other trades will begin to do their stuff — plumber, electrician, insulation guy, drywallers, etc.

You have to like heights to do this kind of work!
In any case, I like the roofing.  It's a 30-year shingle, which should give it more durability in the face of snow and wind, I really like the color, and the roofers have done a smart-looking job. •••

2 comments:

  1. Looking good, John! When do the doors and windows arrive???

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Anderson windows with "standard" glass (which has a UV film to keep sun out) have already come in. The special order windows for the south and west side (no film, to promote solar gain) have not yet arrived. They want to ship both to the site at the same time. So, another week or so, I'd guess.

    ReplyDelete