Thursday, October 14, 2010

I Stand Corrected

The "rainfly" is now largely complete and ready for the roofers.  Note, too, that Kyle has corrected my roof terminology.  This is a gambrel roof, not a hip roof.  I'd know this if I read my own blog.  In a couple early posts I discussed precisely this issue of roof shape.  A gambrel roof has two pitches, or slopes, the shallower above, and the steeper below.

The gambrel roof is nearly ready for the roofers.
The design of the stairwell has become more evident with construction of the opening for the skylight.  In daytime the skylight will illuminate the book shelving which lines the stairwell while, at the same time, offering a look at the sky and trees.  At night, especially in winter when the trees have dropped their leaves, it will also offer a view of the sky.

I initially resisted the skylight, fearing it would leak,
but Bob, my architect, assures me it will be watertight.
From the foot of the stairs one will see three windows, stacked, with the floating staircase in front.  Light from these windows will filter through the stairs, which will have treads but not risers.

The "floating" staircase will sit in front of these windows.
Meanwhile the crew has been closing up remaining openings in the house's sheathing, piecing in SIS panels where needed.  The front porch now has its permanent support post, too.

Kyle nails in one of the last pieces of sheathing...
...and Jose does the same on the opposite side of the gambrel roof.
This 6x6 post holds up the corner of the roof,
as well as the corner of my office!
Last night I had dinner with Kyle, Dave, and Jose.  Dave's crock pot pork was excellent.  The crew has clearly scored on housing.  Their rented cottage on Grand Lake is very comfortable, big screen TV and all.  One topic we talked over was snow plowing.  This area could see snow within a month.  I need to find someone who can keep the site open. •••

No comments:

Post a Comment