Monday, October 25, 2010

Rain, Rain, Go Away

The guys should be back in Presque Isle today, ready to resume work on the house.  They will be doing so under leaden and drippy skies.  The forecast is for a 30-70% chance of storms today through Thursday, a bit of sun on Friday, and then more rain.  The temperature is in the 60s today, but is expected to fall toward week's end.  There is also a likelihood of high winds mid-week.  Well, that's northern Michigan!

I've stopped by Cabin Creek Coffee to check my mail and write this post.  Then I'm off to Sears to see what kind of deals they are offering on appliances.  Certain appliances qualify for the energy tax credit, but I believe they must be purchased by December 31st.  So, I want to see what they can tell me about upcoming sales.  One thing won't qualify for the tax credit — the special order Anderson windows.  My architect tells me the "new" glass (east and north sides of the house) qualifies, but the "old" glass (south and east sides) does not.  That means that glass appropriate for passive solar isn't "efficient" enough.  Go figure.

With just a week until the election, the political situation in P.I. Township remains uncertain.  As I may have mentioned, the charges against Pat were not sustained by the State Police investigation.  In fact, Pat says the detective told him the situation is clearly "political."  The prosecuting attorney declined to seek a warrant.  That's not as unambiguous as a "not guilty" verdict at a trial, but should indicate to any reasonable person that the evidence against Pat did not back up the allegations.  The Presque Isle Advance, Rogers City's weekly, ran a story on Pat's exoneration last Thursday, and the daily Alpena News made this its front page, above-the-fold story on Saturday.  The man who brought the charges against Pat refuses to accept this outcome, saying Pat simply "slipped off the hook."  He claims on his blog that the Township's citizens, full of righteous wrath, are considering a civil suit to recover the value of "the assets" (cedar trees) which these enraged citizens contend Pat squandered.  This guy and his buddies need a time out. •••

No comments:

Post a Comment