Saturday, October 22, 2011

Spring Bulbs

The sun finally came out yesterday afternoon, bringing the temperature to within a whisker of 60.  With the rain finally at an end — at least for a couple days — I put on my work boots and headed outside to plant several asiatic lily bulbs.  These were sent by Nancy and Jim sent as a housewarming (or gardenwarming?) gift.  I put them under the living room window where, next spring, they can be seen from inside the house as well as outside.

Lilium michiganense, "Michigan Lily," a wildflower
found in prairie habitats in the Eastern U.S.
(Photo: Wikimedia Commons, by Marty Lucas)
In Detroit I specialized in daylilies (hemerocallis).  The soil was a heavy clay, and spring rains often turned the yard into a pond which submerged and wiped out many of my perennials.  The daylilies thrived nonetheless,  They tolerate a variety of growing conditions, including damp soil, and a wide range of grower competence.  I tried asiatic lilies a couple times, but the bulbs rotted and I finally gave up.  Now, thanks to Nancy and Jim, I can try lilies again, this time in sandy, well-drained soil.  They are certainly a beautiful flower.

Today I planted daffodil, crocus, and grape hyacinth bulbs.  Daffodils have long been a favorite spring flower.  Happily, deer don't like them! •••

No comments:

Post a Comment