Thursday, October 13, 2011

Plants Planted

As I drove over here to the clubhouse tonight, I noted that most of the streets were wet from rain.  But hardly a drop fell at my house today.  When the weather person says that there is a 20% chance of rain, he/she means it will rain over 20% of the forecast area.  In this case the rain passed just a quarter mile north of me.

9:30 — The plant materials are delivered...
...and at 5:30 the planting is done!
The lack of rain was welcome, because Netta's delivered my plant materials this morning just after 9:00.  I was able to get them all into the ground by 5:30.  As I have said before, digging around my house — actually, anywhere in Presque Isle — is a real chore because much of what you dig up is rock.  I moved rock aplenty today, especially when putting in the Siberian Spruce at the tree line near the road.  This tree will grow up and provide screening from passing traffic.  I placed it on the "house" side of the trees because it will receive sun for much of the day.

Siberian Spruce.
The Siberian Spruce is now about six feet tall, so the hole had to be rather deep, with lots of rocks.  Dennis, from Netta's, said I will not see much growth during the first season, as the tree gets used to its new situation.  After that, it ought to gain up to two feet per season.  For a few years I may be able to put Christmas lights on it with the aid of a long extension cord.

On the southeast side, to the left of the front entrance, I planted a Dwarf Alberta Spruce (thankfully, much smaller than its Russian brother!) along with three Heucherella "Sweet Tea," a shade-loving perennial.  The spruce will grow slowing into a strongly conical tree which, at maturity, will be about 5-6 feet tall.

The Dwarf Alberta Spruce and H. "Sweet Tea."
"Sweet Tea"
H. "Sweet Tea" has cinnamon-colored leaves with red veining.  Oddly, I've never planted, or even noticed, Heucherella.  Perhaps that's because until now my gardening space has been generally sunny.  This perennial is striking.  Next summer each should grow to about 20 inches across and 18 inches high.

"Endless Summer"
To the right of the front door I planted an "Endless Summer" shrub-form Hydrangea, which should mature into a bush 5-6 feet wide.  As noted in an earlier post, the flowers will be pink (as above) or blue depending on the acidity of the soil.  I think this specimen will get sufficient summer sun in this location, when Old Sol sits higher in the heavens.

The tree Hydrangea with Japanese Painted Fern
and H. "Alabama Sunrise."
"Alabama Sunrise"
Under the dining room window I planted a tree-form Hydrangea called "Limelight."  This will produce green flowers which turn pink toward the end of the season.  Then the flowers turn brown and papery, persisting into winter.  With it I planted three Japanese Painted Fern and three Heucherella "Alabama Sunrise."  The latter produces gold leaves with red veining in spring.  The gold changes to green toward the end of the season.

It seems odd to be planting perennials at this time of year, but Dennis assures me that they will settle in, go dormant, and then wake up full of vim and vigor in the spring.

I confess that I'm not feeling very vigorous tonight after all that shovel work.  But this too shall pass.  I'll spend the rest of the evening reading Arundel, a 1950s novel by Kenneth Roberts, which emerged from a box a few days ago.  It was a favorite of my mother, because the story's locale is near York Village, Maine, where she and her mother spent many summers.  It's turning out to be a good read! •••

2 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work, John. May the winter be kind to your new plantings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mike! I think plants are smarter than humans. They go dormant and hunker down for the season, while we insist on running around in all sorts of nasty weather.

    ReplyDelete