Thursday, May 5, 2011

Nails

I haven't had much to blog about for the past few days.  Sorry about that!  I continue to unpack and organize the stuff brought up from Grand Haven, and to prepare for Phase 2, moving my belongings which are currently in storage in Detroit.  I've also been working with the bank to schedule a mortgage closing.  Meanwhile, as the daytime temperatures have become more pleasant, I have started to carefully rake the area around the house.  All the roots that were mixed in with the fill dirt have to be removed, or they will take root and grow up into who-knows-what.  Most especially I want to find all the nails which inevitably end up on the ground during construction.

I had an unhappy experience with nails when I was a boy of perhaps 5-6 years, living in Abington, PA.  It was summer and I was often outdoors barefoot.  One day, running down the driveway, I put a nail through my foot!  My parents hauled me off to the doctor to extract the nail, patch me up, and give me a shot.  The very next day, again running down the driveway, I did exactly the same thing!  Back to the doctor... another extraction... another bandage.  I'm sure my parents then realized that their second son was not the brightest bulb in the pack.  That memory convinces me that if I don't find those nails, they will surely end up in a tire or a foot.

Tomorrow I'll get a land line phone and my own connection to the internet.  The settling-in process rolls slowly forward! •••

No comments:

Post a Comment