Saturday, May 21, 2011

Driveway Marker

Several weeks ago Attila told me he would make a driveway marker for my house.  These markers — three logs lashed (and bolted) together, like the upright supports for a wharf — are popular here in Presque Isle.  They echo the nautical theme which comes naturally to an area on the Great Lakes with two lighthouses and a state-owned marina.
Attila came by yesterday afternoon to install the marker.  I was out working on my rock pile, so a break was most welcome.  We placed the marker just north of the driveway entrance.  Happily, this is in that vein of sand which runs along the road at the east end of the property.  Digging was easy, and we encountered few rocks!
People can tie up their boats to Attila's handsome marker!
These green house number signs really help when
finding a house quickly can save a life.
The marker is constructed of three cedar poles from trees which had been cut down along the roads by Presque Isle Electric and Gas.  A solar light sits atop.  (I hope it gets enough sunlight to recharge!)  However, the marker’s main function is to display the green house number sign I purchased last summer from the fire department.  Now common in rural areas, these signs make it easier for fire and ambulance crews to find a specific residence in an emergency.  GPS units and Google Maps do a poor job locating sites in Presque Isle.  For example, if you punch in 7112 Kauffman Blvd., your GPS will take you to the township cemetery, a half-mile away.  Given such geo-spatial inaccuracy, I should be relatively safe from cruise missiles, smart bombs, and FedEx delivery trucks.
The marker is handsome indeed!  This is a wonderful house warming gift.  Made of cedar, it will likely outlast me!  
I continue to rake out the yard, picking up nails and construction litter, removing large rocks, and pulling up roots for who-knows-what kind of vegetation.  My work was enhanced yesterday by black flies, which are now out in force.  Persistent little critters!  I’ll finish this job today, just in time for R.J. to spread the load of black dirt he delivered this week.  As noted, it is well larded with roots.
Raking the rock pile is good exercise, and provides the
black flies an excellent meal!
Gutters are a nuisance.  Kyle, Dave, and I decided to do without.  That eliminates an annual maintenance chore, but creates a problem below.  When runoff hits the ground, it blasts sand up against the house.  This will eventually discolor the vinyl siding.  To prevent this, I plan to put down plastic weed barrier (which is supposed to block weeds but allow water to seep through), and then cover the plastic sheeting with rocks.  I have lots of rocks to work with.  Oh, my, yes... I have rocks galore. 
The drip line along the porch.  Weed barrier and
rocks should correct the "washout" problem.
Tonight is the first annual “Volunteer Appreciation Event” for Presque Isle Township.  It starts at 6:00, just as the world is supposed to end, according to that off-brand radio preacher in California.  My best spiritual advice: Don't give up your day job. •••

No comments:

Post a Comment