Friday, May 13, 2011

Lightning

One interesting aspect of living along Lake Huron (or any of the Great Lakes) are the wonderful thunderstorms which sail past.  Up here, they can be pretty nasty at times, with damaging straight-line winds (tornados are rare this far north).  But mostly these thunderstorms are fun to watch.  One came through last night.  I noted a few flashes at 11:00 as I was going to bed.  By 12:30 the light show was in full play.  I tried to get some photos, but my camera doesn't seem to take time exposures.  The only shot that worked, even a little, was the one below.  Click for a larger version; use your back button to return to the blog.

A lightning bolt reflected in Lake Esau.  This photo was
taken through my kitchen window.
The windows in the master bedroom face southwest.  I discovered last night that they provide a great view of storm cells approaching from that direction. •••

No comments:

Post a Comment