Saturday, May 7, 2011

Inter-Not

Because cell phone service out here is so uncertain, several days ago I decided to do the TV-phone-DSL bundle through DirecTV.  They partner with Frontier for phone and DSL service.  Installation was scheduled for yesterday.  By 4:00 no one had showed, so I called and found that my order had been cancelled by Frontier.  It seems that DSL isn't available at Presque Isle, because the local sub-station doesn't have the necessary equipment.  When they figured that out, Frontier just cancelled the entire order.  I asked why I wasn't contacted about this decision.  The service rep said, "We were just about to call you."  Right.  "The check is in the mail... the dog ate my homework... etc."

I re-ordered phone service.  Frontier said someone might come today, and if not today, then Monday.  I've spent two days hanging around the house, waiting for installers, and I expect I'll do the same Monday.  Maybe Frontier will give me one of those fancy new wall phones with a crank to contact the operator.  Grumble, grumble.  As for internet — inter-not — I'll just keep coming to the clubhouse for the time being.

Driving back home from the clubhouse yesterday early evening, I found a rainbow glowing over Kauffman Blvd.  It was misting along Lake Huron, but the setting sun was shining brightly from the west.  If you look carefully at the center of the photo below, you can see it.  (Try clicking on the photo to enlarge it.)

Friday's rainbow, just visible in the center of the photo.
 I'm continuing to rake the area around the house, but every time I start, one of the neighbors drops by!  At this rate it will take me a month to finish!  Check out the ground in the photo below.  All those sticks have to be raked out — but what you can't see are the small to very fine roots which have to be pulled up, too.  I'm also raking up lots of nails and small, sharp bits and pieces of siding.

Lots of roots to rake and pull.
I was just told that at 6:00,  in ten minutes, the clubhouse router will shut down.  I'm not sure why, but I guess it's time to blog off! •••

2 comments: