Monday, April 18, 2011

First Night

I suppose it's now official — last night was my first night in the house.  It's a bit like camping out.  I have unboxed, washed, and stowed most of the kitchen gear, and I have started sorting and stashing all those things which arrived under the rubric "bathroom."  However, my clothing is still boxed.  I'll take care of that this evening.  And then there's all those empty cardboard boxes!

Home Sweet Mess.  I'll flatten out most of the boxes and
stash them in the basement for sale or future use.
I have to get used to a new set of house noises.  For instance, no sooner had I crawled into bed than two rather loud bangs echoed from downstairs.  A raccoon?  A bear?  No, the ice maker had decided to drop a couple cubes into the empty plastic bin and start making more ice!  I also discovered that my handsome new carpeting upstairs is out-gassing.  How long will this unpleasant process take?  I should air out the place, or sleep with an open window — but it's bitterly cold outdoors!

Today I'll pack out the rest of my belongings at Trinity's rectory, give the place a cleaning, and turn in my key.  The rectory has been a very helpful roost these past five months — much better than living in my car — but it's time to turn the house back to the parish.

And, of course, today is also Tax Day.  A friend mentioned this week that he's dealing with an IRS audit.  Somehow, I've managed to avoid that pleasure.  At best it would be blood from a turnip. •••

2 comments:

  1. yup, agreed! We found those noises when we moved to Timber View too, master bedroom on parking lot side!!! Hearing folks scraping their cars while we retirees were still trying to sleep, but well, we got used to it and don't hear those crazy sounds now! Best wishes in your new place John!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bumps in the night can be very disconcerting, especially when they wake you from a deep sleep and you can't get back to the land of nod. Maybe Febreeze (sp) might help with the gassy carpet?

    ReplyDelete