Friday, April 8, 2011

Estimates

Today I got an estimate on parging material at the Do-It Center in Rogers City.  This is the cement-like stuff you apply to exposed foam insulation around the basement to prevent it from degrading.  Sunlight seems to be the culprit here, and the parging seals the foam from the elements.

The blue foam has to be protected from sunlight.
The process seems simple enough.  The material comes as a dry ready-mix.  Just add water until it's the proper consistency, and then paint it onto the foam.  I may do this myself, or see if the painters will do it for a reasonable price.  But we can't do anything until the temperatures warm up.  In any case, this seems to be the last detail needed for the bank.  I hope we can close the mortgage next week.

I've also noted dampness under the Bobcat boiler.  The heating guy, Yogi, said this was condensation and not to worry.  I'm disinclined to take that explanation at face value.  Instead, I'll contact SlantFin, which makes this unit, to see what they can tell me about "condensation."

I have a weepy Bobcat in my basement.
The owner's manual for the wood stove said one should not burn "kiln dired" wood.  Kyle and Dave left me several bags of oak scraps from the flooring project — several big bags which take up a whole wall of the basement!  Since this wood was simply dried but not treated, I questioned the restriction and popped off an e-mail to the manufacturer.  Hearthstone responded that "if you give them an inch, some folks will take a mile."  They said the dried oak can be used as kindling, and I can mix it with normal cut logs.  I expect I'll be 2-3 years burning my way through this supply of kindling!

Donna finished cleaning the house today.  I can start unpacking tomorrow! •••

2 comments:

  1. so glad to see you have arrived! Unpacking next, you will probably discover some surprises. Enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be unboxing most of this year — several months of Christmas!

    ReplyDelete