Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Polar Vortex Days

Presque Isle seems to have had it pretty easy during this outbreak of polar cold.  Our overnight low here was about -7º, and now, at midday, it's 5º — a real heat wave!  The wind chill has been -25º for much of the past couple days.  Happily, this system should move out this evening, and temperatures will start rising until, on Friday, we will be back in our normal range.

Christmas is over.  But I think I'll leave my
wreath up for a few more days.  It's pretty!
Our wreath makers at Grace do a great job!
The bread dough riseth.
Three loaves, baked and cooling, are a happy sight.
They freeze well, too.
I decided to stay home yesterday, since we were getting about one inch of snow per hour during the day.  I filled the time making a slow cooker batch of vegetarian chili, to which I added a small can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.  Let's just say that this chili was a bit more spicy than I normally make!  I've frozen most of it so I can enjoy it later.

Then I made a batch of bread.  Yeast bread requires being around the house for about seven hours, and yesterday was the perfect opportunity.  The result is well worth the effort — good taste and great aroma.  I use the whole wheat bread recipe from Joy of Cooking.  The only thing I add is a couple tablespoons of molasses.  Making three smaller loaves, rather than two large, works best for me. •••    

No comments:

Post a Comment