Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Misaligned

I try to deal with Alpena companies, because I think it's important to support the local economy.  But my heating company has earned my wrath.  Last spring I asked them to clean my wood stove flue and correct a misalignment in the black pipe on the ground floor.  They told me to call during the summer.  I called in August, and was assured that someone would take care of the problem shortly.

Two months passed.  Finally, a single tech arrived two weeks ago, ready to check out my boiler, but unaware that my wood stove was on the work order.  Clearly, he had not read the paperwork.  He told me he couldn't clean the pipe or work on the stove.  But then, for some reason, he tried to correct the alignment problem by shoving the stove back toward the wall, and by twisting the pipe.

The wood stove's pipe is now so badly out
of vertical that I can't safely burn it.
The net result is that the stove's alignment problem is much worse than it was before his visit.  I don't consider it's safe to use the stove in its present condition.  Why he did that is beyond my ken.  As he left he said someone would call shortly to schedule another visit.  Meanwhile, I'm heating exclusively with propane!  Ka-ching!  And, not surprisingly, no one has called.

The installer from a stove company in Cheboygan will come by next week.  Hopefully he will be able to resolve the problem. •••

No comments:

Post a Comment