Thursday, October 24, 2013

First Snow

Presque Isle had its first snowfall on Tuesday.  October 22 is a bit early for snow!  We usually get our first snow by mid-November, while October is chilly but pleasant.  Not this year!

In fact, the trees here peaked this past weekend, October 19-20.  But rain through the weekend muddied the color and high winds (near gale force at times) stripped nearly half the leaves.  Tuesday's snow flurries were like whipped cream on the weather sundae.  The snow melted away quickly, but I suspect this is a harbinger of the winter to come.

This pattern has held throughout the week.
By now I would be burning my wood stove.  However, on Monday the heating company came out to do the annual boiler check.  I had also asked them to clean the wood stove flue and reposition the stovepipe on the ground floor, which is slightly out of alignment.  However, the company sent only one tech, so the the flue cleaning has to be rescheduled.  And this guy moved the stove, making the alignment worse.  Now I can't burn the stove until they return.  When will that happen?  I was told they are 280 customers behind! •••

No comments:

Post a Comment