There were a couple more things I wanted to see in the Porkies. One was the Summit, which was said to offer a grand 360 degree view. So, I took the South Boundary Road to the Summit turnoff, parked, and set out on a steeply upward-sloping pathway. This took me to a set of stairs and a boardwalk to an overlook.
 |
Summit Peak Tower is a short but upward walk from the parking lot. |
 |
| This proved to be the first of many stairs. |
 |
| A pleasant overlook at the halfway point. |
The boardwalk continued, with numerous stairs upward, until at last I came to the viewing tower. Now, for someone who doesn't like heights, this is even more challenging than a lighthouse! The tower swayed back and forth whenever someone walked up the stairs. While the view from the top was wonderful, I kept hold of the nearest railing. And I happily abandoned my perch when a group of ten women hikers started climbing the tower.
 |
| They should call this "Wobbly Tower." |
 |
The advice about electrical storms would seem almost unnecessary... but people do remarkably dumb things. |
 |
| At the top, looking to the northwest toward Lake Superior... |
 |
| ...and to the northeast. |
From there I headed west to the Presque Isle River.
Another Presque Isle! That makes
three in Michigan that I know of — the Presque Isle where I live, a little point of land west of Marquette, and now this river in the Porkies. Clearly, the term
presque isle is descriptive, not necessarily a place name. Lots of "almost islands" were identified by the early French fur traders. Only later did their description of a landmark become the name of specific locale.
 |
| There are at least three sets of falls on the river. |
 |
| Swimming is not allowed, but people do it anyway. |
 |
| More stairs near the river's mouth. |
A little way down the road, you go down a steep set of stairs to a suspension foot bridge over the Presque Isle River (pronounced "I-ul" rather than "eel"). This offers an excellent view of the river, and as it turned out, an experience of how small our world is. As I was trying to take a photo someone walked out onto the bridge, causing it to sway back and forth. In some frustration I looked up to see who was making a mess of my photography and saw neighbors from Presque Isle (my Presque Isle!) walking toward me. We were equally surprised.
 |
| This suspension bridge provides great river views. |
 |
| Looking upriver... |
 |
| ...and downriver toward Lake Superior. |
 |
| On the road headed east through wonderful fall color. |
After that I headed east to Escanaba for my last night away from home. •••
No comments:
Post a Comment