Sunday, January 27, 2013

Postponed Posters

I've postponed my plan to use my four-poster beds in the ground floor bedroom — at least for now.  The house was planned with these two beds in mind — I asked the architect to be sure the room would handle them.  But they are an odd size by today's standards.

My parents told me that these beds came from the Emerson Homestead in York, Maine, and were most likely a gift to my grandmother at her wedding in 1912.  For years they furnished her guest bedroom at Doylestown, PA.  My parents used them for years at their home in Ohio, and handed them off to me when they moved to Florida in the 1970s.

The bed posts are topped with carved pineapples.
I assume they are about 150 years old, and quite handsome.  York was a seafaring town.  It's possible one of my ancestors sailed to Hawaii or some other place where he encountered pineapples.  In any case, the posts are surmounted with carved pineapples!  I have never seen beds quite like them.

Problem is: These frames are 2-3 inches narrower, and about 4 inches longer than modern twin beds.  This would necessitate custom made mattresses and box springs, and possibly custom linens as well.  I've decided to put off that expense for now, and to consign the beds to the basement for now.  In a couple years I'll see if setting up these antiques is possible.  For now, a couple new twins will make the room sleep worthy.

Every ointment needs a fly.  In this case, it is the challenge of disassembling one of the posts from one of the side rails.  All the other pieces came apart, save for these two members.  The bolt connecting them is an odd size.  I tried every socket in my socket wrench set, but nothing fit!  I'll have to consult with friends about this task.  Apparently it baffled my parents years ago, because the pieces are still joined! •••

2 comments:

  1. John, this is Dave Sanders. Can the frames be modified so that standard mattresses will fit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe... but my concern is that doing so would compromise their value.

    ReplyDelete