Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Hogmanay

Friends from Detroit and Ann Arbor are coming north on Friday.  In preparation I've spent the past few days giving the house a spring cleaning.  It's not yet spring, of course.  But this weekend will see St. Brighid's Day, when the Irish commemorate one of their three patron saints (along with Patrick and Columba) and the onset of the ewes' lactation in preparation for spring lambing.

Cleaning the house is part of the Scottish new year celebration, known as Hogmanay (pronounced hug-ma-NAY).  I'm told this holiday involves liberal applications of whiskey and food, as well as visiting homes of family and friends.  There is no scotch under my roof!  But I've had a good time cleaning and organizing the closets and chasing dust bunnies.

Another friend is coming up from Kalamazoo on Tuesday to do some cross-country skiing.  Alas, much of our snow is being washed away by today's rain.  I have no idea if there will be anything to ski on next week. •••

2 comments: