Sunday, December 23, 2012

Light One Candle

"It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness."  That familiar admonition is the motto of The Christophers, a Roman Catholic group which preaches a doctrine of tolerance and offers a spirituality for people of all faiths.  Many claim this proverb for their country, but it appears to be Chinese in origin.  At the same time, its application is universal.

(Wikimedia Photo)
Mindful of that old saying, I'm lighting candles at home and trying to speak well of the darkness into which the current (no pun) power outage has plunged the east side of Lake Esau.  However, this morning I ran to Home Depot in Alpena to find a battery powered lantern.  I hope it will cast more light in my house at night than a few candles provide.  That way I will be less likely to stub my toe on something and speak ill of the gloom.

We are now approaching 48 hours without power.  Over 21,000 Presque Isle Electric and Gas customers lost power as a result of the storm.  This morning PIE+G reported that 8,350 customers remain in the dark and some may not have their power restored until tomorrow, or possibly even Tuesday.

My house continues to stay warm, thanks to the wood stove, but not having water is a nuisance.  Thank heavens for the Association's clubhouse, where one can get a shower — not that the Association is wasting much money on hot water!  Bracing! •••

No comments:

Post a Comment