The storm has moved away from northeast Michigan, but its effects linger. Yesterday afternoon, as I was arranging the lights on my Christmas tree, the power failed. We maintained power all through the storm, even with wind gusts up around 50 mph. But yesterday, with much lighter winds, something evidently gave way — probably a tree branch — and left the east shore of Lake Esau in the dark.
I decided to have dinner in Alpena and then see The Hobbit (an excellent movie, but three hours long!). When I stopped at the gas station on the way home, a man who had been working on snow removal in Cheboygan came in. He reported that the Walmart parking lot there was blanketed with 18 inches of snow! They used front loaders to remove it.
Presque Isle Electric and Gas reports heavy snowfalls in their service area, and lots of outages. Repairs are expected to take until Monday. Since Kauffman Blvd. was late losing power, I expect we may be last on PIE and G's to-do list. Anticipating that, I put all my frozen food in coolers on the back porch. With temperatures not expect to get above 30 degrees (and assuming no nosy animals looking for lunch) that part of my larder should survive. However, the food in the refrigerator is now too warm and will have to be thrown away.
Meanwhile, the wood stove is keeping the house comfortable. I just wish I had wood-fired plumbing! •••
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment