The newsletter was distributed today. I got my copy in my P.O. Box. We haven't heard any feedback yet, but that will come soon, I'm sure.
However, when I returned from Alpena this afternoon, there was a message on my phone from the Alpena post office. The woman who called thanked me for using their Every Door Direct Mail service. But then she said that in order to avoid having the newsletter classified as a "periodical" under USPS rules, I have to eliminate the name (The Beacon), any date, and anything else that makes it look like a periodical. Otherwise, it would have to be mailed at periodical rates, which look to be about the same as First Class. That would mean a $700 postage expense.
In fact, I think we will be lucky to keep this thing classified as "advertising." I would argue that we are, indeed, advertising — not a pizza or an oil change, but a township! But whether this will pass muster with the Postal Gods is uncertain. •••
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment